The International Office at the Iowa Economic Development Authority offers financial assistance to eligible Iowa small companies to help companies market their products and services to a global audience.
The Export Trade Assistance Program (ETAP) may reimburse eligible Iowa companies for up to 75 percent of defined international marketing expenditures in a qualifying trade show or IEDA trade mission held outside the U.S., to explore new markets or provide support to expand current markets.
The Domestic Trade Assistance Program (DTAP) may reimburse eligible Iowa companies for up to 75 percent of defined international marketing expenditures in a qualifying international trade show held in the United States, to explore new international markets or provide support to expand current markets.
To learn more, download the program fact sheet in the Resources box below.
These programs are funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Application — Instructions & Process
Submit your application as soon as possible. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Applications should be received:
ETAP/DTAP: AT LEAST 30 days in advance of an event.
- Register with iowagrants.gov
- Instructions for registering through iowagrants.gov [PDF: 894k]
- Submit application with all required supporting documentation. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Be sure to read the International Trade Assistance Fact Sheet (provided in Resources below) for the list of all documentation needed for the applicable program. There are three “forms” to include in the documentation upload:
- Certification company is an SBA "Small Business Concern" and a certification that the company is not debarred from receiving federal funds (two forms under Resources)
- Completed Export Assessment (under Resources)
- Instructions for applying for funding through iowagrants.gov [PDF: 2.6MB]
- Upon approval, receive, sign and return an original signed contract (before the event takes place or within 10 business days of receiving the grant agreement).
- For ETAP/DTAP, display the current “IOWA EXPORTER” logo at the event and take a photo of the booth with the signage. This is required for reimbursement. (Current graphic can be found below under Resources.)
- Upon completion of the event or project, log into iowagrants.gov and complete/submit claim.
- Instructions for requesting a reimbursement/claim [PDF: 1.9MB]
Receive reimbursement check, typically within six to eight weeks of IEDA receiving the online claim.