The International Trade Office (ITO) at the Iowa Economic Development Authority offers financial assistance to eligible Iowa small companies to help companies market their products and services to a global audience.
The Export Trade Assistance Program (ETAP) may reimburse eligible Iowa companies for up to 75 percent of defined international marketing expenditures in a qualifying trade show or IEDA trade mission held outside the U.S., to explore new markets or provide support to expand current markets.
The Domestic Trade Assistance Program (DTAP) may reimburse eligible Iowa companies for up to 75 percent of defined international marketing expenditures in a qualifying international trade show held in the United States, to explore new international markets or provide support to expand current markets.
All applicants (by Federal Identification Number) must meet the following criteria:
- Company size requirement:
- Employ fewer than 500 with at least 75 percent of applicant’s total number of employees employed within Iowa
- Meet SBA “Small Business Concern” size guidelines and provide signed certification form – sba.gov/size
- Provide certification company is not debarred from federal funding
- Have a product/service manufactured, produced, processed or have value-added in Iowa
- Company must have completed ITO surveys for prior financial assistance awards
Application & Approval
Only complete applications will be considered. Successful applicants will be funded on a first-come, first-served basis to the extent funds remain available.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Applications should be received AT LEAST 45 days in advance of an event.
International Grant Application System Instructions: [PDF: 3MB]
- Applicant must be a registered user of the ieda.force.com online International Trade Grant Application System. Once registered in the new system, applicants will not need to re-register for future applications.
- Submit application with all required supporting documentation. Read the International Trade Assistance Fact Sheet (Resources below) for the complete list of all documentation required. There are three “forms” to include (Resources):
- Completed Export Assessment
- Certification of Debarment
- Certification of a "Small Business Concern"
- Applicant will receive approval notice (typically within two to three weeks). If the applicant hasn't received e-mail notification within three weeks or before the event (whichever is earlier), contact email@example.com.
- Print and sign grant agreement prior to the event or within 10 days of receiving the document and upload at ieda.force.com.
- At the event, applicants are required to display the current “IOWA EXPORTER” logo and submit a photo of the booth with the signage for reimbursement. (graphic available under Resources)
- Following the event, log into ieda.force.com and complete/submit the expense claim within 60 days of the event conclusion. Be sure to “Submit for Approval” after completing. Reimbursement checks are typically mailed four to six weeks after receipt of the completed claim.
- Approved applicants will be required to complete follow-up surveys in ieda.force.com. E-mail reminders will be sent to all applicants.
To learn more:
These programs are funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.