The Iowa Student Internship Program provides grants to small and medium-sized companies in the advanced manufacturing, biosciences and information technology industries to help support internship programs with a goal of transitioning the interns to full-time employment in Iowa upon graduation.
Employers must meet all of the following criteria:
- Engage in one of the targeted industries: biosciences, advanced manufacturing or information technology.
- Employ 500 or fewer, with a significant portion employed within Iowa.
- Pay the intern(s) at least twice the minimum hourly wage. (minimum $14.50/hour)
- Offer the internship(s) to students of Iowa community colleges, private colleges, regents universities or to students who graduated from an Iowa high school and attend a college or university outside of Iowa.
- Intern(s) must be within ONE to TWO years of graduation. (undergraduate or graduate student)
- The employer must offer either summer or semester-based internship(s).
- Summer internship(s) must last a minimum of eight weeks (averaging no less than 30 hours per week).
- Semester internship(s) must last a minimum of 14 weeks (averaging no less than 10 hours per week).
- Intern must be employed at an Iowa location.
- Intern must be a student at one of the Iowa community colleges, private colleges, Regent universities or a student who graduated from high school in Iowa but attends an institution of higher learning outside of Iowa.
- Intern must be within ONE to TWO years of graduation. (undergraduate or graduate student)
The intern must participate in a substantive experience in one or more of the following areas: research and development, engineering, process management and production, product experimentation and analysis, product development, market research, business planning or administration.
Awards and Spending Guidelines
An Iowa employer may qualify for financial assistance on a matching basis for a portion of the wages paid to an intern during the designated internship period. For every two dollars of wages earned by the student, one dollar paid by the employer is matched by one dollar from the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) and up to $3,100 per intern
. A company is eligible for a maximum of three internships per fiscal year
(July 1 – June 30).
Awards are managed on a reimbursement basis. All expenditures must be supported with payroll or other appropriate documentation. Funds can only be used for reimbursement of wages during the designated internship period. Program funds shall not be used to cash flow a business. Funds that have been generated through any state source cannot be used as matching funds; however, federal funding is an eligible match. Funds spent prior to receiving an award will not be reimbursed.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants can apply online
for the FY 2017 Iowa Student Internship Program.
The final deadline for fiscal year 2017 applications is April 30, 2017 (or when funds are depleted). Summer 2017 internships must be completed by September 2017.
To learn more: